Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Genesis- Andy Hoyt

The first chapters of Genesis tell the story of God creating the earth and everything on it over the course of seven days. At the end of the seven days God then divides the new Earth into different lands. He then creates the Garden of Eden, a haven and paradise for his creations. He creates Adam and Eve, the first humans. They live peacefully in Eden for a time, but eventually the snake (Satan) tricks Eve into eating a forbidden fruit from a sacred tree and they are both cast out, forced to live on their own and provide for themselves.This is the source of all sin and evil in humans.

My origin story is not nearly as impressive or important as the Creation Story. I was born here, in Lexington, Kentucky. My dad was born in Minnesota and my mom in Frankfort, Kentucky. The Hoyts are a very outdoorsy family and all love reading. My Great-grandfather came to Minnesota from Norway, where they were dairy farmers in Lejsa valley in Norway . I was actually able to meet some of my relatives in Norway this summer. The Mitchells (my mother's side) have been in the US for much longer. My parents met in the Economics Department at the University of Kentucky. My father had just become a professor and my mom was a graduate student and a Teacher's Assistant there. They moved to Virginia while my father worked at Georgetown College in D.C., where my sister, Ginny, was born. Soon after they returned to Lexington, where I was born.

3 comments:

  1. I am also of Nordic descent so I can relate to your Norwegian ancestry. However, the Swedes are much better than Norwegians so I win. I too have relations to parents in the departments of the University of Kentucky so in some ways my origin story is very similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know your parents met in the Economics Department--how romantic! My origin story also leads to Europe, but only goes as far north as Scotland. I enjoyed your summary of the story of Adam and Eve. It's gud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved your detailed origin description. Instead of saying something such as "I was born in Lexington Kentucky in bla bla....." you dissected your heritage, and took me, the reader, by the hand, and on a journey into the past of the Hoyt clan. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete