Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Cain and Abel Schuler Ravencraft

Cain and Abel are the sons of Adam and Eve. Cain was in charge of farming while Abel was in charge of the herding. Adam and Eve told Cain and Abel to sacrifice a lamb to God to show them how grateful they were and how sorry they were for their sins. Abel wanted to sacrifice something special to God, picking out his best lamb. Cain didn't understand why Abel would give up his best lamb and instead decided to sacrifice some extra straw he had. God ended up favoring Abel which angered Cain. Cain ended up killing his brother. This was the first murder. God became angered and cursed Cain so he could no longer easily grow crops and made sure that Cain could never be harmed and would have to continue living in misery.
"The Story of Cain and Abel." DLTK. DLTK's Site, 1 Jan. 1998. Web. 30 Sept. 2014. <http://www.dltk-bible.com/genesis/chapter4-cv1.htm>.

I can proudly say I have never had a problem with sibling rivalry.... probably because I don't actually have one. That is one of the plus sides about being an only child. I have no competition, no expectations and no high standards. I've never had to fight for attention (even though sometimes I wish I was given less), I've never had to share my stuff and I've never had to worry about one upping someone. Sometimes I wished that I had someone to play with when I was younger or talk to when I was bored. However I have witnessed sibling rivalry among my friends it made me want one less and less. I've watched fights break out over who is smarter, who has more friends or even who gets the last piece of cake. Sibling rivalry is not an experience I'm upset I have missed out on.

2 comments:

  1. Although I have a sibling, I find myself relating to what you're saying. You describe your situation well and even implement a little comedy into your story, keeping it dynamic and lighthearted. It was a refreshing perspective from most of the blog posts. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it particularly impressive that though you do not have a sibling yourself, you were still able to empathize with the idea and connect. With your humor and tone in this, your voice was so strong that I could practically hear you describing it to me yourself. This was lovely, well done.

    ReplyDelete