Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Cain & Abel- Chelsea Southworth

Adam and Eve, the Biblical first humans, made love and had two sons: firstborn Cain and his brother Abel; Cain was a farmer while Abel tended to the sheep. When the time came to make offerings to the Lord, Cain brought some vegetables while Abel offered the best meat from his firstborn lambs. God favored Abel's gift, but didn't really care for Cain's. God asked Cain why he was angry, and warned him against imminent sin. Cain took his brother out into a field and promptly killed him. The Lord was understandably displeased with Cain, and cursed him to wander the earth forever. He did, however, give Cain a mark that would stop others from killing him. Cain went on to father many generations of important men, including one named Lamech who had two wives, Adah and Zillah. Adam and Eve, at that point, produced another child who they named Seth.

The reason I started working on this blog in the first place was because of sibling conflict. You see, I needed to use the computer -- like, really needed to use it; my research poster for a big fancy conference was due the next morning and, since I never bought Office for my Mac, I needed to use the computer to finish it. My sister, however, insisted that she also needed the computer to finish a project for Colonel Brown. In the end we worked it out (I had to let her use the desktop computer, so I started blogging), but those were a tense ten minutes. Sibling relationships seem to be like that -- moments of frustration and conflict punctuating a general camaraderie. My little sister and I can bake cookies, poorly dance around the living room, marathon TV shows on illegal websites, hate each other for a little while, and then go right back to the couch to finish our episode. Whoever coined the term "love-hate relationship" clearly had a little sibling.

1 comment:

  1. Great summary to start off with! I'm sure if I had no Biblical knowledge, I would still not have any questions!
    I LOVE the connection you made to sibling conflict. Your anecdote kept things light and fun which made this blog a joy to read!

    ReplyDelete