Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Before She Died - Garrett Uebelhor

Before She Died

Karen Chase

When I look at the sky now, I look at it for you.
As if with enough attention, I could take it in for you.


With all the leaves gone almost from
the trees, I did not walk briskly through the field.


Late today with my dog Wool, I lay down in the upper field,
he panting and aged, me looking at the blue. Leaning


on him, I wondered how finite these lustered days seem
to you, A stand of hemlock across the lake catches


my eye. It will take a long time to know how it is
for you. Like a dog's lifetime -- long -- multiplied by sevens.


Chase, Karen. Before She Died. CavanKerry, 2000. Print.
http://www.loc.gov/poetry/180/026.html
    



I believe that this poem reflects a fairly universal theme, it seems that this poem is about dealing with a death and about how one remembers times with someone they have lost. The poem seems to represent how someone tries to experience life more after a death so that they can live it for the person who they lost. I think the author of the poem is speaking in a peaceful and accepting tone; She seems to accept the death yet also yearn to understand life and what became of her loved one after death. The reason I decided on this poem is because I have thought about the afterlife and about death before and I believed that the death of a loved one would be something I could relate to more than some of the other poem's topics. Since I have experienced the death of loved ones a few times myself I was able to understand some of the emotions and also some of the "soul seeking" which seems to be done by the author. I think that certain phrases such as "finite these lustered days seem to you" and "leaves gone almost from the trees" represent how she saw the loved one grow closer and closer to death. However I do not believe that the actual poem wasn't written before the loved one died and think instead that the writer is actually using both experiences from before and after the death in the poem to contrast how life is different now after the woman's death.

1 comment:

  1. Your interpretation of the poem is introspective and detailed; the way you are able to relate the story to yourself makes your opinion all the more impactful. Somehow, the fact that you have also experienced loss makes your interpretation feel more accurate-including that fact boosters the believability of your response. The writing itself is relatively simple, but pretty. The simplicity helps the reader to see the information in the response without being distracted by unnecessary words and extraneous phrases.

    ReplyDelete