Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Odysseus and the Fall of Troy- Andy Hoyt

The story of Odysseus and the fall of Troy is one of the most well known tales of all time. Odysseus, a Greek commander, and his army were besieging the city of Troy, but seemed to be making no progress. Odysseus finally came up with the idea forever after known as "The Trojan Horse". The Greeks would build a giant wooden horse as a sign of peace and give it to the Trojans, but the entire Greek army (minus one guy to present the horse) would be hiding inside. Once they had brought it inside the walls of the city the Greeks would wait until the Trojans lowered their guard and take the city from the inside. The plan worked perfectly, and the Greeks took Troy.

Over the summer I visited Norway with my family to see the land of our ancestors. While there I witnessed the most beautiful landscapes I had ever seen in my life. Only a few days before we left I learned of the most wonderful law ever created by humankind. In Norway you can camp anywhere you want as long as it is 50 meters away from a building. Ever since I learned of this simple rule my dream journey has been to backpack across Norway. I would most likely travel from south to north, beginning in the early spring while it is still cool, and traveling towards the Arctic Circle as it warms up. I would travel from the port f the capital city Oslo, to the largest northern city Trondheim. From here I would sail through the scattered fjords and islands into the Arctic Circle, sleeping under the Northern Lights every night. I would continue into the cold northern waters, following the coast until I reached Sweden and finally Finland, where my Journey would end, in a grassy Finnish valley, surrounded by sheep and barley fields.

5 comments:

  1. This is a really good post. I love the description of the second paragraph. It is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting how just one bit of information about the country of Norway has been a catalyst for your dreams of the future. I hope one day you get to travel to Norway and backpack throughout the country. It sounds like an amazing opportunity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your passion for backpacking shows through this post. Your dream journey has clearly been thought out for a while, and the reader can't help but share your enthusiasm. Great work keeping your description varied as well as structured simultaneously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy your personal connection to your trip to Norway. Your powerful imagery really gives the reader a taste of what it is like to experience your experiences. I hope to go on a journey like this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I can see that you love nature, and your dream of spending your time with nature, and backpacking all the way north is a noble dream. I hope that you will be able to make this a reality, as it shouldn't be far from your grasp. A trip like this could be life changing for a person, and if this is something you can devote yourself to doing, I can see nothing but positives coming from the trip.

    ReplyDelete