Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Make it New - Jonathan Tungate

“MAKE IT NEW”
I find it helpful to imagine writing in a blizzard
            with every inscription

designed to prevent snow
            crystals from drifting in.

Avoid the hive mind. Go fly a kite,
raise a stained glass window in the sky.

It’s the opposite of making love to drudgery,
            what I do for a dying.

      Remove the bitter sediment
trapped in the brewer. It will be new

whether you make it new
or not. It will be full of neo-

shadows. Full of
 thenboth past and next,
i
ridescent with suspense. Remember

            time is not the treasure revealer.
More a midge larva creeping

through a waterfall releasing
suction feet. The curiosity rover

      lands on Mars! New is a hooligan.
It breaks the reckoning frame and rests

in pieces. Let me collect its DNA
from the tears on your desk.

Poem written by Alice Fulton


This poem seems to depict more of a cultural perspective of the USA. It talks about progress, but not only in a positive light as you might expect, it also has a negative component to it. It communicates that we lose some of our past as me move into the present. This is something everyone from our society can understand  a little more than maybe other societies, showing its cultural perspective on this issue. This poem seemed to relate to me more than the others I read, as I can understand the ideas presented by a American author, and it speaks to me. The idea of moving towards the future and away from past ideas is something I can see every day, and this poem brings some of these idea to life.

1 comment:

  1. You said me instead of we which takes away from your main point which is very elegant. Saying that we lose some of our past as we move into the present is very deep and summarizes the poem very well. Relating to everyday life was a great way to wrap up your summary.

    ReplyDelete