Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Genesis- Brittany Graul

In the first six days, God created heaven and earth, then night and day, along with the oceans and land on earth, and all the animals. God also created man, Adam, in his image and on the seventh day he rested. Thinking that Adam would need company, he created a woman, Eve, from one of Adam’s ribs. Together Adam and Eve resided in the Garden of Eden, free to do what they pleased except they were told by God that they could not eat the fruit from a specific tree, the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, or else they would die. Tempted by a wicked serpent, Eve ate the forbidden fruit and then Adam did as well. Once they ate the fruit, they realized that they were naked and in turn God realized what they had done. Eating the fruit directly disobeyed God and so they were punished, including painful childbirth for women and expulsion from the Garden of Eden.
                My beginnings were a bit different from Adam and Eve’s in the Garden of Eden; I was born in Lexington and have lived here all of my life, raised by my parents Michelle and Bill. I am the youngest child and I only have one older sister named Allison. Though I was born here, I have origins and roots from all over the place. I am not just a Kentuckian, but I am also Irish, Welsh, German, and Cherokee. The German part mostly comes from my father’s side which is particularly evident in my last name, Graul, and people struggle endlessly to pronounce it. Also, interestingly enough, my first name, Brittany, has its own unique origins as well; Brittany originally came from a region in France (Brittany, France).
                

3 comments:

  1. The retelling of the genesis story is concise and informative-it hits all of the more relevant points of the story. The story of your origins also has these characteristics, but is more interesting; I love hearing about people's bloodlines and how mixed they are. The fact that you also listed your name's origin is a nice touch, and a little different than the typical response. If you had wanted to add any more detail, I think you could expand on your Kentucky roots and what they mean to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your summary of the Genesis story to be incredibly interesting and detailed. From my understanding of the story, it was a very good summary without being so detailed I got bored. I was amazed to learn about your Cherokee descent and would've never expected that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a nice job at retelling the story of Adam and Eve. You had a nicely varied sentence structure making it flow well through out the piece. It was very informative and interesting. I also have German descendants!

    ReplyDelete