Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Odysseus and the Trojan horse - Katy Estes

Odysseus and the Trojan Horse is about the Greek and Trojan war. The Trojans were kept safe in their city by their city walls. Odysseus, recognizing this challenge, came up with an idea to surprise the Trojans and attack them while they were ill-prepared. The Greeks listened to Odysseus and built a giant wooden horse, which was then given to the Trojans as a gift. What the Trojans didn't know was that many Greek soldiers were hiding in the stomach of the wooden horse, waiting to jump out and attack the Trojans when they least expected it. Because the Trojans were celebrating and off guard, it was very easy for the Greeks to overpower them and kill the soldiers as well as enslaving women and children.

I do not hold the same aspirations as Odysseus to attack and kill a city, but I do hold a wish to travel as Odysseus did. Not condoning his ten year journey home, I simply want to be able to discover more places around the world than the few I have come across. I have only been out of the country twice (both to Mexico), but I want that to change. I would love to go to Australia. I understand you have to spend about a day on a plane, but I personally love flying. Planes are so fascinating to me: how they work, how they take off, how they land. I would love to be able to go to Australia and see the wild life that resides "down under." Ever since I saw the movie "Kangaroo Jack" in middle school I fell in love with the idea of visiting Australia, or really any foreign country, and being able to merge yourself in the wildlife so completely.
Outside of Australia, I also would like to see Europe. Italy, France, Germany, etc. I want to be able to say one day that I was able to see the ancient ruins of Rome as well as taste real Italian pasta (my favorite food). Seeing the Eiffel Tower as well as Big Ben are things on my bucket list that just need to be crossed off.
I am always impressed when I learn where all people have traveled. I want to one day surprise and impress others too.

2 comments:

  1. A solid summary of the Trojan War. It was a more literal interpretation of the journey theme, but still meaningful. The reasons for wanting to visit Australia were cute and amusing. Nice variation of sentence structure; I saw colons and many uses of commas, although there were no semicolons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good personal connection and concise summary. A lot of people seemed to have gone to much into the story's precise details, while in your response I liked how you focused just as equally on the personal connection. ... and still a very adequate explanation of the story.

    ReplyDelete