Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Odysseus and The Trojan Horse- Ryan Collins

After 10 long years of siege, the Greeks finally hatched a scheme that would win them the war. They constructed a colossal wooden horse, a tribute to the the Trojan's most worshiped deity, Poseidon, and staged a surrender. The Trojan's rejoiced, and held a huge feast in honor of finally defeating their opponents. What the Trojan's didn't know was that hidden in the belly of the wooden steed sat a small group of Greek soldiers. In the middle of the night, the Greek's snuck out of the Trojan Horse, and opened the main gate, letting in the rest of the Greek army, and ransacking the great city of Troy.

Unlike the Greeks, I do not spend hours planning a tactical takedown of the city of Troy, instead, i chose to spend my time fantasizing about traveling back to Costa Rica. As a junior, I made the long trek to this tropical paradise, and stayed for a week. Ever since I yearn to be back in the clear ocean, to be eating the rich local foods, to be surfing before the sun rises. We stayed in a small surfing village that had no name, but was filled with lively, energetic locals whose names we will never forget. The only thing that would have made this trip my dream vacation was if i went with my life long best friend, Alex Reese. Together, we would take on all that Costa Rica has to offer, and have  great time doing it. 

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed all the sensory description of the envrironment. I too feel the yearning for the ocean and its salty depths. The description of the Trojan Horse story seemed fairly accurate in my memory and I appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to say absolutely fantastic!!!!:). I very much appreciate the intense personal narrative and how you just completely offered up this very valued life experience for the class too see. I would enjoy hearing about every other facet of life as well. PS:I love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job connecting the trojan horse story to your dream journey. Your description would make anyone want to journey to Costa Rica! Parallel structure usage was 10/10, too. You'll find no complaints from me on this post.

    ReplyDelete