Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Fault- Schuler Ravencraft

Fault

Ron Koertge *
In the airport bar, I tell my mother not to worry. 
No one ever tripped and fell into the San Andreas 
Fault. But as she dabs at her dry eyes, I remember
 those old movies where the earth does open.
There's always one blonde entomologist, four
 deceitful explorers, and a pilot who's good-looking
 but not smart enough to take off his leather jacket
 in the jungle.
Still, he and Dr. Cutie Bug are the only ones 
who survive the spectacular quake because
they spent their time making plans to go back
 to the Mid-West and live near his parents
while the others wanted to steal the gold and ivory 
then move to Los Angeles where they would rarely 
call their mothers and almost never fly home
and when they did for only a few days at a time.

This poem is universal in theme, reflecting on the journey in which we will all take very soon: leaving our parents. I choose this poem because it hits close to home. In less then a year no matter if I go to UK or go to college out of state I will be leaving my parents. I can picture myself in the same situation; assuring my mom that nothing bad will happen to me and that I will keep in touch. The poet discusses losing touch with our mothers or our families in general. Once we are in college we will be so caught up in school, making friends and what other ventures in our lives that many times you will start to lose contact with our families and we start to go home less and less.

Koertge, Ron. "Fault." Poetry 180. 1 Jan. 2000. Web. 12 Sept. 2014. <http://www.loc.gov/poetry/180/047.html>.

No comments:

Post a Comment