Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Elegy- Julian Perry

No Children, No Pets

BY SUE ELLEN THOMPSON
I bring the cat’s body home from the vet’s
in a running-shoe box held shut
with elastic bands. Then I clean
the corners where she has eaten and
slept, scrubbing the hard bits of food
from the baseboard, dumping the litter
and blasting the pan with a hose. The plastic
dishes I hide in the basement, the pee-
soaked towel I put in the trash. I put
the catnip mouse in the box and I put
the box away, too, in a deep
dirt drawer in the earth.


When the death-energy leaves me,
I go to the room where my daughter slept
in nursery school, grammar school, high school,
I lie on her milky bedspread and think
of the day I left her at college, how nothing
could keep me from gouging the melted candle-wax
out from between her floorboards,
or taking a razor blade to the decal
that said to the firemen, “Break
this window first.” I close my eyes now
and enter a place that’s clearly
expecting me, swaddled in loss
and then losing that, too, as I move
from room to bone-white room
in the house of the rest of my life.


     This poem by Sue Ellen Thompson follows a mother's experience after the loss of her cat, using all three elements of an elegy (lament, admiration, and consolation). A sense of detachment is portrayed at first, hinting at a state of shock and overwhelming sadness felt by the narrator. The author purposefully stays vague in using "the cat" and instead of calling the cat by its name, as well as giving details about the shoe box holding the cat's body to show this feeling, which creates a sorrowful tone. This detached feeling fades with the second paragraph's beginning. "When the death-energy leaves..." the narrator, she is left with memories of her own daughter's childhood which reflects the loving relationship she had with the cat. The narrator reminisces about events that had changed her daughter's life and her own, similar to how the narrator's own life has changed as a result of the cat passing away. Surely there is sadness, but she chooses to remember how much love they once shared instead. She chooses to remember the good. The final element of an elegy pokes through at the end, as the narrator states "I close my eyes now and enter a place that's clearly expecting me..." The calm has washed over her, and her memories have consoled her sadness. Ending on this note, the poem is trying to give the reader a feeling of hope and happiness in such a bleak time seemingly without feeling. The message that one should appreciate what love they have had in their life ties this poem together, as the narrator experiences this appreciation and betters herself for having had it.







2 comments:

  1. I would say that to an extent this poem is not as traditional of an elegy as others might be. I say this because the ending of the poem doesn't really leave me with a sense of "consololation" as I believe it also wouldn't for this mother. The ending is "as I move from room to bone-white room in the house of the rest of my life" which gives me the sense that this mother is feeling trapped in her home. She feels that each room is the same as she says "room to bone-white room" implying that the rooms are barren and empty without her cat but especially without her daughter. To an extent there is some level of consolation, but I would still argue that the mother is still greatly depressed and doesn't enjoy being in the home where her past memories haunt her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your response is a clear and straight forward analysis of the elegy you read. Your explanation is easy to understand and it does not leave me questioning which parts of the poem exemplify remorse consolation and then acceptance

    ReplyDelete