Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Tower of Babel-Gibbs McKinley

After the flood that killed most of the people on earth, the ones left all spoke one language. When enough time had passed that there was a sizable population, people decided to build a tower to heaven and to give themselves one name, so that they could spread across the world and not lose one another. Their tower was coming along very well, and reached extreme heights. When God saw the tower, he realized that, being united, humans could accomplish whatever they desired, to a point where he had no control. Therefore, he came down and scattered the people, and gave them all different languages. Thenceforth, people were not united, because of language barriers, and could no longer work together.

I took Spanish from sixth grade to last year, and am not taking a language this year. Though Spanish is incredibly useful, I did not really enjoy it. I do, however, wish to be fluent in another language. Therefore, I am planning on taking French in college. I love France (at least I think I do-I haven't actually been yet!), and French is also a useful and common language. It is similar to Spanish in that they are both Romantic languages, so I wouldn't be completely starting over either. Language barriers are incredibly frustrating and I want to learn as many as I possibly can to avoid those kind of problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment