Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pygmalion and Galatea-- Siobhan O'Neill

In the story of Pygmalion and Galatea, A sculptor creates many statues in the image of his wife Cynisca. The sculptor increasingly becomes interested in his statue named Galatea. The sculptor's wife is often gone and he finds himself spending more time around the inanimate object. On day, Galatea becomes alive and confesses her love to her creator. Because of Galatea's innocence and naivety she comes off as unusual and unsocialized. Galatea causes problems with the relationship between the sculptor and his wife. Because of Cynisca's jealousy and her inability to adapt to her new life, Galatea decides to return to her life as a statue. If there was one character I wish I could bring alive it would be Tiffany from Silver Linings Playbook. My reasoning behind this could be because the story is one of my favorite books/movies of all time but I do think I have a special connection with the character Tiffany. She is outspoken, inappropriate, and above all, crazy. I don't necessarily think of myself as particularly crazy but I do think it is a common theme in human nature to feel like you are crazy. I'm often second guessing my thoughts and I what I think is normal. I also consider myself very inappropriate when it comes to social situations. Having someone who is like me in those ways would be a nice chance from the usual since all three of those characteristics are seldom found in other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment