Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Odysseus and the Trojan Horse - Omer Hamad

The story of the Trojan horse is one that almost all people know about. The commander Odysseus could not penetrate the city of Troy after hours of battle. Brute force proved the wrong way to enter the city, so he began to search for another method. This is where the horse comes in. The great wooden structure was built to seem solid from the outside, but could hold several soldiers within. The horse was given to the city as a token of friendship, a way to end the war. Though they were wary at first, the city accepted the gift, and brought it through the doors. As night enveloped the city, and its citizens fell asleep, the soldiers inside the wooden horse began to move. They open the gates of the city to their army, and it came and wiped out the cities defenses from the inside. When morning came, Odysseus' army controlled the entire city.


I've lived in the Sudan for six months. The one definitive thing I can say is that I don't want my journey to have anything to do with the desert or Africa. It would probably include a road trip across Europe over the course of several years. I would most likely have stops at the major cities that happen to coincide with major holidays. It would also have to be with rock stars because they can party. I'd be ok with doing the road trip with white people because sometimes they party also. After the trip in Europe, I would go to the Himalayas and attempt to summit Mount Everest. The journey would end with a month long cruise that lands me in Hawaii, where I would spend a week in the sun and then go back home.

1 comment:

  1. It was clever to start with a place you would NOT like to journey into. Your details allow the reader to have a good idea of what your journey would be. Also, your explanation of the trojan horse story had a sense of intensity that most did not have. I enjoyed it. Good work, overall.

    ReplyDelete