Thursday, October 9, 2014

Rhyme - Kyle Luo

Your World By Georgia Douglas Johnson Your world is as big as you make it. I know, for I used to abide In the narrowest nest in a corner, My wings pressing close to my side. But I sighted the distant horizon Where the skyline encircled the sea And I throbbed with a burning desire To travel this immensity. I battered the cordons around me And cradled my wings on the breeze, Then soared to the uttermost reaches With rapture, with power, with ease! Johnson, Georgia Douglas. "Your World." Poetry Foundation. HarperCollins Publisher Inc, 1 Jan. 2001. Web. 9 Oct. 2014. Rhyme Scheme: ABCB DEFE EGHG This poem employs a more unorthodox rhyme scheme with the second and last lines of each stanza rhyming together. For me, this particular rhyme scheme creates a certain tempo to the poem that makes it sound "right" when I read it aloud. This creates a more cohesive feel to the poem but I don't think it does much to affect the overall theme/meaning of the poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment