Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Rhyme - Olivia Dixon



A Rhyme for Halloween
By Maurice Kilwein Guevara
 
Tonight I light the candles of my eyes in the lee A
And swing down this branch full of red leaves. A
Yellow moon, skull and spine of the hare, B
Arrow me to town on the neck of the air. B

I hear the undertaker make love in the heather; C
The candy maker, poor fellow, is under the weather. C
Skunk, moose, raccoon, they go to the doors in threes D
With a torch in their hands or pleas: "O, please . . ." D

Baruch Spinoza and the butcher are drunk: E
One is the tail and one is the trunk E
Of a beast who dances in circles for beer F
And doesn't think twice to learn how to steer. F

Our clock is blind, our clock is dumb. G
Its hands are broken, its fingers numb. G
No time for the martyr of our fair town H
Who wasn't a witch because she could drown. H

Now the dogs of the cemetery are starting to bark I
At the vision of her, bobbing up through the dark. I
When she opens her mouth to gasp for air, B
A moth flies out and lands in her hair. B

The apples are thumping, winter is coming. J
The lips of the pumpkin soon will be humming. J
By the caw of the crow on the first of the year, K
Something will die, something appear. K

Guevara, Maurice. “A Rhyme for Halloween.” Poetry Foundation. Web. <http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/247394>.

With the holiday quickly approaching, I thought Guevara’s “A Rhyme for Halloween” was fitting. The poet incorporated several spooky elements including witches, cemeteries, leaves, apples, pumpkins, “the undertaker,” and nocturnal animals such as skunks and raccoons. The rhyme scheme (AABB CCDD EEFF GGHH IIBB JJKK) almost gives the impression of a spell or chant, reminding the reader of the festive subject and making them feel slightly disturbed (myself at least). The author’s use of rhyme helps depict the creepy, yet familiar scene of Halloween night by tying the different elements together. End rhyme seems to be the most common throughout the piece, but internal rhyme can also be found in the second stanza.    

2 comments:

  1. I like your connection to a chant or spell, I sort of picked up on that too. I didn't pick up on the internal rhyme in the second stanza however, and I think that was very clever of you to do so. I also really liked your choice of poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The choice of poem is very fitting because of the time of year and actually enjoyed it. I agree with the rhyme seeming like a chant, almost like something kids would chant on Halloween or sing maybe. I didn't think of that on my own, so that was really smart of you.

    ReplyDelete