Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Odysseus and the Trojan Horse--Angela Maske

After ten years of futile battle against the Trojans, Odysseus formed a scheme to finally destroy the mighty Troy. The Greeks built a huge wooden horse and set it before Troy's city wall, leaving Sinon to convince the Trojans that the Greeks had departed. However, when the Trojans brought the horse in during their celebration of victory, they did not know that 30 Greeks were hiding inside the horse, waiting until the entire city was either asleep or drunk to leap out and attack.

The story of the Trojan Horse marks the end of the endeavor of the Trojan War; however, it really marks the beginning of Odysseus's journey home from the war. Odysseus's ultimate dream was return home even after becoming a war hero. While I share Odysseus's same sentiment of service and pursuit of success, I do not believe I will share the same goal of "returning home." I love to travel, and even when I am away from home for long periods of time, I rarely feel homesick. Of course, I can't speak to the endurance of my wanderlust in later points of my life, but at least in my youth, I imagine chasing my dreams wherever they take me with nothing to hold me back.





http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Trojan_Horse.html "Trojan Horse." Princeton University. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Sept. 2014.

2 comments:

  1. I really relate to your feelings on returning home. I love visiting new places and never want to come home. It is my dream to one day travel the world and learn about different cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your summary of the Trojan Horse story. I personally found it dissapointing that this story was not included in the Iliad, the Greek epic retelling of the conflict.

    I too share your sense of wanderlust; I want to see as much of the world as possible in my finite years on Earth. In this respect, we differ from Odysseus, the great tactician.

    ReplyDelete