Sunday, March 8, 2015

The Importance of Being Earnest Humor

pg.10; Algernon: "Literary criticism is not your forte, my dear fellow. Don't try it. You should leave that to people who haven't been at a University. They do it so well in the daily papers. What you really are is a Bunburyist. I was quite right in saying you were a Bunburyist. You are one of the most advanced Bunburyists I know."

In truth, I laughed out loud when I read this little speech given by Algernon in the direction of Jack. His words are satirical and dripping with sarcasm, which are my two favorite kinds of humor. The first quip derides those who pretend to know about literary criticism in the daily papers, though clearly in Algernon's opinion they are simply making fools out of themselves. The snide, clever way in which he condemns the poor writers is what makes the comment truly farcical. The second comment refers to "Bunburyists" which Algernon explains to essentially be a way of getting out of engagements one does not want to participate in. The complete absurdity of having such a well-developed and deceitful excuse to escape daily life is a satire on the Victorian society they are living in. It is humorous that Algernon, who is so quick to denounce others in their odd ways, would take something so ridiculous so seriously. Wilde creates a character in Algernon that is a satire of the proper Victorian gentleman, which I find incredibly amusing.
Given that this is the passage that I find most entertaining, I would say that I enjoy "high" humor more than "low." Though I definitely enjoy physical humor, if I had to choose one type it would be that of satire and sarcasm.

One of my very favorite TV shows that I find hilarious is "Parks and Recreation", (on Netflix!) which I would say employs mostly dry, deadpan humor mixed with some slapstick. The show uses an enormous amount of satire of the government and of multiple other things throughout the seasons. I find April's dark humor particularly funny, along with Ron's deadpan lines. Tom, played Aziz Ansari, is a satire in himself, being of an extreme consumer.

Another TV show that I find funny is "Friends", which I recently started to watch on Netflix. This is show is also filled with satire and sarcasm, one example being Rachel, who is a satire on the typical wealthy, helpless daughter who is expected to marry and be a housewife. Though she does not live in to this expected role, many of her actions are a comment on this type of person. This show is also filled with ironic situations involving the characters romantic relationships.




No comments:

Post a Comment