Sunday, March 8, 2015

Comedy Blog - CatyBeth Gooding


Even from the beginning, I have enjoyed reading this play. It has both “low” and “high” comedy, sort of like how children’s movies and TV shows have comedy for both the adults who inevitably watch the show, as well as comedy for the children that the show is targeted for. Some of my favorite moments so far have been when Earnest asks Gwendolyn if he may propose to her (p18), as well as Lane stating that he had been married “because of a misunderstanding” (p 2).


Something I found funny recently was a meme of sorts. The format would be “Hi, I’m auditioning for the role of ____ from ____, and I’ll be singing ___ by ____.” So as an example, one was “Hi, I’m auditioning for the role of Jack from the Titanic, and I’ll be singing Under the Sea from The Little Mermaid.”  I guess this could be considered either situational irony or puns maybe? I am not sure what aspect of society it critiques.


Another meme that I enjoy is “mmm whatcha say.”  It started from an SNL skit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmd1qMN5Yo0) , and basically, every time someone dies, you play “mmm whatcha say” in the background.” I would definitely consider this farce. The original skit is making fun of a TV show called “The O.C.” In the season 2 finale, one character is shot, and then out of nowhere, the song is played. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saEzQcayEPM

No comments:

Post a Comment