Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Comedy Blog

The Importance of Being Earnest is a play filled with puns and witty remarks that  gives the audience a chuckle. One moment I remember off the top of my head that I found particularly funny was when Jack states, "I am in love with Gwendolen. I have come up to town expressly to propose to her." Algernon comes back at this remark stating, "I thought you had come up for pleasure? ... I call that business." This moment of  exchange is followed by many other humorous remarks about marriage. Wilde uses this wit to provide social commentary through out the play.

One piece of humor that has recently come out and created a lot of controversy is The Interview. The Interview is filled with satire, witty remarks, bad puns and any other element of humor you can name.  In the movie James Franco and Seth Rogen go to North Korea to interview/ assassinate Kim Jong Un.  Through out the movie they make references to how the North Koreas supposedly view the dictator and also how we Americans view him. If you look passed all the vulgar jokes you find that the movie is not only social commentary on our relationship with North Korea but it also provides social commentary on Hollywood and the idolization of celebrities.

No comments:

Post a Comment