Sunday, March 8, 2015

Comedy Blog - Jacquelyn Engel

Oscar Wilde is quite a confident and bold writer in “The Importance of Being Ernest”. His writing is very blatant, and that’s what I enjoy most. Wilde does not hold back his opinions; he completely goes against the social norm of “everyone thinks this but is too afraid to say it out loud”. I find Wilde’s bluntness comical and entertaining because they are true for the most part. I think both the high and low comedies are equally funny, although, sometimes it takes a little longger for me to understand the high comedy.

I’m a huge sucker for puns, so these were automatically funny for me.
“Sentiment is my forte” (1)
“It produces a false impression” (8)

I think this quote not only portrays marriages but also family relationships. Sometimes if you’re with family too much, it can be exasperating.
“Fortunately, he is accustomed to that” (14)

This quote was referring to Lady Bracknell asking if Jack/Ernest smoked. It’s funny because smoking is not quite an occupation. It occupies time, but it is not an occupation.
“A man should always have an occupation of some kind” (21)



The Office is my favorite show. It’s pretty much the only show I watch. Like Wilde’s writing, The Office is just blunt and blatant. If you haven’t seen it before, it is a satirical comedy about an American workplace. The show emphasizes ignorance, primarily on the topics of race, sex, and religion. It uses a lot of dramatic irony, verbal irony, sarcasm, and farce to ridicule humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment