Monday, December 8, 2014

Katy Estes Ode

I read "Ode to my Hands" by Tim Seibles. It is about his hands, the importance of them, and the amazing things that can be done with hands. Similarly, I write about debate and the amazing things accomplished through it every day.

Ode to Debate

O debate,
Master of my time,
Master of my thoughts,
Master of conversation for a while.
O debate,
You bring hours of research
Just with your name,
Countless practicing
All in my own time.
You cause me to wake up at 4am
On a Saturday
To be excited.

Standing behind a podium,
Having the room's attention,
I feel in control
Like my words and opinions matter,
But in fact, it is debate
That holds the reigns
Today, today debate controls
Me.

O debate,
Not an action
Or assignment in English,
Not a class forced upon you,
But a power of words,
Of informed opinions,
Of educated evidence,
That allows for higher discussion.
O debate,
You challenge us all.

Enraged, engaged, encompassed
In a topic.
Words flow through your mind
To your mouth,
Across the floor to your opponent
Faster than you can speak.
Adrenaline courses, pumping
Through your body,
Chasing those words,
Chasing that win.

No comments:

Post a Comment