Friday, November 7, 2014

Tower of Babel- Chelsea Southworth

After the Biblical flood, the people all settled down in a valley called Shinar. Because they all spoke the same language, they were able to work together harmoniously and accomplish great feats. Their crowning achievement was the Tower of Babel: a magnificent building (yep, a tower) that stretched all the way to Heaven. God wasn't a fan of this tower, since heaven was his territory, so he came down and scattered the people across the earth, giving them all different languages.

My next language is French. I started using this website called Duolingo, which actually seemed to be very helpful (je suis riche; la pomme est rouge; obviously I'm fluent), but I stopped a while ago because of college and its accompanying time requirements. I do hope to start back with this website, and to definitely take French in college. Why French? It's the language of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where my nonhuman-primate love, the bonobo, lives exclusively; I'll need French to be able to communicate easily while conducting research in the DRC.

No comments:

Post a Comment