Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Echo and Narcissus - Megan Woodrum

Echo was a forest nymph who was a close friend to the goddess Aphrodite, they spent a lot of time together gossiping and telling stories. One day she ran into Zeus having an affair and thought of how wonderful this new piece of gossip was. So when she saw Hera looking for Zeus she distracted her and sent back to Olympus on her hunt. Zeus rewarded Echo with a magnificent ring as a thank you for her assistance. This reward is what got her punished; Hera returned when she realized she had been tricked and saw the gift. Hera then decided she would give Echo a gift as well; a curse that she couldn't speak any words except the last few that had been spoken to her. It was after she got cursed that she saw Narcissus and fell in love with him and his beauty. She hadn't thought she'd find any man worthy of her until him, but she made him run away by making him angry by only repeating the last of what he's said. Devastated at her rejection she prayed to Aphrodite about disappearing. Aphrodite granted her wish and dissipated all of her except her voice, which continued to echo the last thing everyone said. As for Narcissus she punished him for rejecting her friend by having him fall in love with his reflection , which he believed to be a nymph.

I don't know any person that is really narcissistic person, but I'm sure if I ever do then  I'd probably really abhor them. A truly altruistic person that I know is probably my mother. I've always admired the generosity and selflessness my mom possesses. She is one of the kindest people I know and I've always respected her for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment