Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Best Medicine (David Stevens, Comedy)

When it comes to comedy, I’m no snob. I appreciate essentially all forms of humor: from high to low, from family-safe to politically-incorrect, from political satire to scatological jokes. As such, I have so far enjoyed thoroughly reading The Importance of Being Ernest. It is an excellent combination of farce, societal satire, wordplay and more. To demonstrate this, I will select two examples of high and low humor, both concerning cucumber sandwiches.

First: Jack, commenting on the aforementioned vegetable confections:
“Hallo! Why all these cups? Why cucumber sandwiches? Why such reckless extravagance in one so young?”
This is what I would consider high comedy. Wilde is making a big deal out of a few cucumber sandwiches, which is at once ridiculous and a cutting criticism of the upper classes of Victorian England.

Second: Algernon on the sandwiches:
“Please don’t touch the cucumber sandwiches. They are ordered specially for Aunt Augusta.” (Takes one and eats it.)
This is pure farce. The juxtaposition of Algernon’s comment and action are hilarious.


My favorite genre of television show is comedy. I love Saturday Night Live and most of the NBC comedies, from Seinfeld to 30 Rock to Parks and Recreation. I especially enjoy witty dialogue and political satire, such as on the above and also on The Colbert Report. Here are a few examples:







No comments:

Post a Comment