Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Comedy Blog

The Importance of Being Earnest is a witty, humorous play packed with satire, sarcasm, and puns. While reading Act 1, there were a few times that I found myself smiling at Wilde's wit. Personally, I think I identify more with "low" humor, but both low and high can be funny. On page thirteen Lady Bracknell says, "I never saw a woman so altered; she looked quite twenty years younger," when talking about Lady Harbury after her husband's death. Typically if someone's close relations were to die they would look older, so the author made it obvious that Mr. Harbury's not being around was a relief to his wife. Another example was when Algernon revealed his secret Bunbury, who wasn't anyone at all, that he used to get out of obligations he didn't want to be a part of. "I have invented an invaluable Bunbury, in order that I may be able to go down into the country whenever I choose," he stated. Later on in the act, he had "just had a telegram to say that (his) poor friend Bunbury is very ill again" when his Aunt Augusta tells him about a dinner with Mary Farquhar, allowing his to miss out on the monotonous event.

A couple movies I find particularly funny are 21 and 22 Jump Street. Both are full of slapstick, sometimes vulgar, humor. Nonetheless, they never fail to get me laughing, especially when you find out that Schmidt was dating his boss's daughter and see Ice Cube's reaction.

There are also a lot of Vines that you can watch on Twitter that are super funny, especially late at night when you need sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment